Friday, October 30, 2009

Homesick...really?


I've spent the last two weeks traveling through Italy - visiting beautiful hilltop towns and crowded cities, meeting wonderful people and eating amazing food. It's been an awesome experience, but I'm a bit homesick. I guess this is the longest I've ever been away from home so it's kinda understandable, but really? I'm in Italy! I keep telling myself to suck it up and have a good time!
It's weird because as much as I'm looking forward to going home in a week, I'm also dreading it. I feel like this has been my greatest effort to escape reality and yet flying to another continent hasn't done it. When I go home Kate and Peter still won't be there, at least in their physical form. They'll still be dead. Ugh.
On the bright side, if there is one, I do feel a growing need to start living a 'normal' life again when I get home. I want and need some consistency and I need to feel grounded instead of just trying to pass the time and distract myself. After taking a few cooking classes in Italy, I think I am definitely going to go to culinary school. At least that's something to look forward to. Gotta just keep going....somehow.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you have found something to look forward to. At different points in my life, when I have gone through tough times (none of which can hold a candle to what you have gone through), I have tried to come up with five positive things (sometimes it would be only one). Perhaps if you can do that, it will help, if only a little.

    Enjoy the rest of Italy.

    And keep swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate and Peter in your heart - culinary school on your agenda - Italy all around you.... I'm glad you're finding some clarity and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love and miss you Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading about you thinking about going to culinary school brought a smile to my heart. The idea of a mother with so much to give feeding people is so powerful as it seems that when I am loving others the most, I am feeding them. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete